Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hallucinating Opossums

      At the clinic, it is required for us to work three 8-hour shifts a week. I usually do mine in consecutive days to save time for my other internship and at the time that I signed up for my shifts, it just seemed efficient. Though, it seems that for the three days that I am working there, I eat, sleep and breath animals and it has truly gotten to my subconscious.
      Last night around 3am I gained just enough consciousness to realize that I really needed to pee. I normally sleep with my fluffy cat cuddled on the pillow next to my head, though in my still dreamscape ruled state, all I could manage to think was, 'wow this is a really nice opossum, he's not hissy at all and is so much softer than usual!' and I pet him a few times, before I decided that I really did have to pee. I then proceeded to edge my way off the bed as quietly as possible, careful not to disturb the bedding or move anything as I was convinced that on the other half of my queen sized bed that I did not sleep on was an array of baby animals in their baskets trying to sleep peacefully. I swear I saw all of the cages so clearly that I could paint a picture. 
     When I got back from the bathroom I could not figure out if there actually were or were not cages on my bed, so I snuck back in the same way just to be safe and went back to cuddling with my opossum. It was tangible, I could prove it was there. Though I must admit that a grown opossums willingness to cuddle should be a sure tip-off that I am hallucinating over-romanticized wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment