Friday, June 23, 2017

Germany - Castle Ruins

Flashback Friday!

      I have been to Germany twice now, once for a month as an exchange student when I was 16, and again for six weeks when I was 18. Both times I visited with my exchange sister, Emma, the castle in Muizenberg. (probably completely butchered the spelling of the name but Google isn't being helpful right now.) This Castle is in complete ruins and is a hell of a lot of fun to climb on.
      The Images on the right were when we were 16, and I really miss that purple sweater. I think someone in my Gym class the next year stole it. On a separate part of the castle, I learned how flexible I was when I was running down the side of the wall and sidestepped my foot, putting full force onto my bent ankle instead of my foot. Not wanting my Emma's mother to worry, I played it cool, sat for a minute until the pain dulled a bit and then walked it off.
      Climbing actual rock walls was a lot more fun than going rock climbing on an artificial
rock wall. The hand and foot holds were much larger and it was easier to climb. It was by no means safer though. That's the cool thing about Germany: people don't have to worry about getting sued for obvious 'at your own risk' activities. In America, I'm sure the whole place would be off limits, or I don't know, destroyed for more condos like everything else here.
      The second time we went when we were 18 (me with short purple hair this time). There were a bunch of kids with foam swords and hats pretending to be dragons, knights, and princesses. It was one of the few times I didn't mind kids as it made me happy to see them able to unplug and have fun with their imaginations just like I did in the woods behind our house with my older sister.

     This time Emma and I also tried to practice more par-core tumbles, with moderate success. We started first just doing it on the grass then Emma tried doing it off a short wall. I, however, lamed out as even in both of our inexperienced states, she had more practice than me. Their gym classes actually have a portion of the class where you do par-core on practice mats and I am still insanely jealous. Needless to say, we were both very sore the next day. Actually, a lot of things that we got up to we were sore the next day. Maybe it should be a saying, "If you're not sore the next day, you weren't really up to any shenanigans." ...or something. I don't know, I think I'm just rambling now so I'm going to stop while I'm ahead. Happy Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment