Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sing It All Away

      Last Thursday I attended the most fun and amazing concert I have ever been to, the main feature being Walk Off The Earth. They are one of my all-time favorite bands, they do covers as well as amazing original songs. The first one that I heard was 'Gang of Rhythm,' from their YouTube music video that I've posted to the right. All of their music just makes me want to get up, sing and dance to the good vibes- and that's exactly what everyone at the concert was done.
     I went with my friend Dylan (whom I met in Nevada at that redneck bathtub boat racing festival at cave lake state park), who was less familiar with the band and was blown away by their use of forks in a coffee mug as an instrument. It sounds crazy, but it works. And it's brilliant. She also greatly enjoyed the massive amount of ukuleles on stage, there must have been at least seven- those things were flying everywhere. There was also a stone bunny with an eyepatch and at least 10 kazoos distributed around the stage. They didn't use the stone bunny as an instrument, it was just decor on stage. I feel the need to point this out mostly because with this band you never know.
      All of the members were obviously having a great time. Sarah, the female singer of the group looked at least seven months pregnant and was giving full energy, jumping on and off of platforms, and having a blast with the rest of them. It was pretty badass, and I bet that baby is gonna be born ready to rock out.
       Beard Guy, the always expressionless, stoic guy in the band was still as entertaining as in the music videos, staring you down while playing some fun instrument. In another of my favorite videos, he breaks plates on the beat and that works too. I thought the best instrument he had on tap at the concert was this giant, absolutely brilliant didgeridoo. At one point, beard guy came on stage, face inscrutable as ever, and raised his arms and lowered them with the volume of the crowd. When he got us silent a few girls from the back of the concert hall screamed, "we love you beard guy!" at this, his neutral facade faded for a brief quirk of a laugh at the corner of his mouth. If you saw more music videos you'd understand more why this was amusing. or maybe I'm just to easily amused. That could be it too.
        Overall it was an amazing concert, with wonderful feel-good energy. I am so glad about how busy my life has been that I was able to go and enjoy myself, singing and dancing to music that has been such a big part of relaxing me and improving my mood everywhere I go. These are the songs that you roll down your windows to in the summer, singing along at the top of your voice and forgetting all your worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment