Friday, July 7, 2017

Germany - Kletterwald

Flashback Friday!


      Kletterwald translates to 'Climbing Forest', and it is exactly, or maybe more than it sounds like. Essentially you are 20-30ft up in the air, (sometimes more) and there are platforms on each tree. Between the platforms are a variety of obstacles that you traverse while on a zip line. The obstacles can be anything from zip lines, Tarzan swings, tight ropes, rolling logs, vaulting a gap to riding in a bucket, bridging a gap with a  trapeze swing, climbing over suspended picnic tables and walls.
       It is a hell of a lot of fun if you find a place with easy to use equipment, and that isn't expensive. The courses in Germany had us on a zip line above our heads the whole time so we didn't have far to fall, others that I've been on have the two clip system that you have to clip into and out of each course on the line and it's just a pain in the butt. Yet another instance of Germany being better at something than America: first of all, in Germany, it's about 11 Euros for three hours of tomfoolery at these places, in America, it's about $80 for three hours because of insurance and some stuff like that. Also, American treetop courses I've been on seem to be a lot more focused on strength level whereas in Germany, while the obstacles do require strength, also have a focus on coordination and problem-solving. I liked this much better for the same reason I enjoy Assassin's Creed, you don't always have to be strong if you're smart about what you're given. Sometimes the right leverage or strategy
is all you need.

    I went to this climbing forest on both trips, though I only have pictures from when I was 16, as that's when Emma's mom had to drive us there so we had her to take pictures.
     I did briefly get stuck on the pole vaulting obstacle as I underestimated how much force I needed to get across. I wound up stuck hovering in the middle for a bit.
    It was one of those thrilling activities that you never knew how much it took out of you until you felt the exhaustion wash over you afterward, and the feel-good, I-accomplished-something-soreness the next day.






No comments:

Post a Comment